J-1 Trainee/Internship Visa

The J-1 visa is a temporary training (for up to 18 months) or internship visa (12 months) for foreign nationals who wish train in their chosen career or profession in the U.S. for a maximum of 18 months (12 months in the catering industry, unless managerial). The purpose of this visa is to foster understanding and share business models between the U.S. and other countries so an underlying requirement is that candidates intend to return to their home country at the end of the training/internship period. Contrary to popular perception, one may train at any time during one’s career, so this visa is not limited to newly qualified or young people. A college degree is not necessary and there is no annual quota for this visa category. See our eGuide for more details. 

Irish graduates may avail of a 12-month Intern J-1 Work and Travel visa to allow them to work and travel in the US for a maximum of 12 months, after which an H-1B or other category of work visa will be required for those who wish to remain working in the US.

“Deirdre O’Brien is a top-class US immigration lawyer who facilitated me getting a visa without fuss and with great courtesy. She is proactive, efficient and her knowledge and understanding of US immigration law and regulations is outstanding.”

Eoin Collins

Director of Policy Change, GLEN

Talk to Us About Applying For a J-1 Visa

Sign up for our newsletter and get the FREE eGuide

Doing Business in the U.S.
- Visa Considerations

This invaluable eGuide covers options available to executives and professionals desiring to work and live in the US and explores common pitfalls and widespread myths about US immigration rules and practice.